Why You Need to Stop Using Your Traditional Towel Now
Whether you are or are not living a green lifestyle, one thing we can all agree on is bacteria on towels is gross. Fun fact: Traditional towels have bacteria left on them after three washes. You end up wiping that bacteria onto your clean skin, day after day. Before we get into what your towels should be made from, let's discuss why traditional towels are not healthy for us.
Why Traditional Towels Are Toxic to your HealthTraditional towels are made of petrochemicals, which are created from petroleum and natural gas. Some of the ingredients used to create towels are:
- Rayon - manufactured fiber made from wood and agricultural products.
- Polyester - synthetic fiber made from plastic materials. Polyester is harmful to your health because the material does not stretch, absorb sweat or allow your skin to breath. In turn suffocating your skin not allow your toxins to leave your body. This can allow your body to absorb the toxins causing skin rashes, burning, or itching.
- Synthetic Fibers - fibers made by humans using chemicals derived of coal and petroleum.
Take away is that traditional towels are full of toxic chemicals that can be adsorbed into your skin and body. These chemicals have been linked to nausea, headaches, burning, itching, rashes, cancer, poor skin and mind health. Before moving on take a moment to think about your clothing. If the materials are any of the above it can be the same problems. Toxins being absorbed into you skin daily over and over. They have 100% organic cotton, bamboo and hemp clothing options that are actually fashionable! Check back soon for a clothing blog coming talking about the importance of ditching all fabric in your house and switching to organic cotton, bamboo and hemp! Sign up for our email to be the first to find out or follow us on Instagram @motherearthinc
Why Switch to Organic TowelsOrganic towels are created using organic cotton, reasonably sourced bamboo and/or hemp.
- Bamboo is biodegradable, grown naturally and harvested sustainable. Since it grows naturally there is no need to spray it with pesticides or worry if it has been genetically modified. Bamboo is super soft and thanks to it antimicrobial factor, will not mold. That means no more smelly mildew towels, and no more bacteria left on your towels.
- Organic Cotton grown using methods and materials that have a low impact on the environment. Organic production systems replenish and maintain soil fertility, reduce the use of toxic and persistent pesticides and fertilizers, and build biologically diverse agriculture. Cotton is lightweight, durable and breathable making it perfect for towels and clothing! Even though organic cotton doesn't get sprayed with all those pesticides, pest will still attack the crop in turn some farmers choose a natural pesticide. Do your homework when looking into organic cotton, ask questions and find a company you can trust! I will tell you all about my TOWL towel soon!
- Hemp is made from the fibers in the herbaceous plant of the species cannabis sativa. It's a high-yield crop that produces significantly more fiber per acre than either cotton or flax. Hemp is UV and mold resistant, lightweight, absorbent and durable.
Take away, organic towels are a much better option, not only will you not be spreading bacteria on to your skin, your body will not be absorbing toxic chemicals day after day. Super soft, antimicrobial and breathable are all things your want to hear when thinking about towels!