Lemon Water Benefits
I'm sure you've seen it on Instagram or Twitter, drinking warm lemon water has so many health benefits. At first I was on the fence until I began my own personal trial. To really understand the effects of something like lemon water I choose to drink it twice a week in the morning for three weeks, stopping for two weeks and beginning again but this time drinking it every other morning for the same three weeks and then stopping for two. After finishing that last week I went over my results and can personally say drinking warm lemon water does have positive health benefits. Before I tell you my results, I wanted to get you caught up on what positive health benefits you are getting from Lemon Water and why it is important to your health.
Good Source of Vitamin C
Research has proven that lemon water is a good source of Vitamin C. The thing to remember is the amount of Vitamin C you are getting depends on the amount of fresh squeezed lemon juice. A quarter cup will provide you with 31% of your daily recommended amount. Our bodies only keep a small reserve of Vitamin C, making it important to replenish it daily. *According to the MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
*Vitamin C is needed for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body. It is used to:
- Form an important protein used to make skin, tendons, ligaments, and blood vessels
- Heal wounds and form scar tissue
- Repair and maintain cartilage, bones, and teeth
- Aid in the absorption of iron
*Vitamin C is one of many antioxidants. Antioxidants are nutrients that block some of the damage caused by free radicals.
- Free radicals are made when your body breaks down food or when you are exposed to tobacco smoke or radiation.
- The buildup of free radicals over time is largely responsible for the aging process.
- Free radicals may play a role in cancer, heart disease, and conditions like arthritis.
Help's Prevent Kidney Stones
Kidney stones develop when certain substances, such as calcium, oxalate, and uric acid, become concentrated enough to form crystals. The crystals then grow larger into “stones.” About 80% to 85% of kidney stones are made of calcium. The rest are uric acid stones, which form in people with low urine pH levels. According to Dr. Brian Eisner, co-director of the Kidney Stone Program at Harvard-affiliated Massachusetts General Hospital lemons have Citrate(a salt in citric acid) that binds to calcium and helps block stone formation. "Studies have shown that drinking ½ cup of lemon juice concentrate diluted in water each day, or the juice of two lemons, can increase urine citrate and likely reduce kidney stone risk." The research goes on to say that the study had the patients drink lemon water 7 days a week and the patients that had kidney stones present the lemon water helped pass them easier.
Drinking lemon water claims to aid digestion and unable to find any studies to back that claim, I can personally say I would agree with this. Warm lemon water helps maintain the bodies PH levels naturally keeping your digestive and bowl movements regulated. Now drinking enough water can also keep your digestive and bowl movements regulated, so unsure exactly if it is the lemon water or just water.
Thanks to the citric acid in lemons, drinking lemon water stimulates your saliva production, fighting off bad breath. I would totally agree with this, my breath always felt fresher on the days I drank lemon water vs the days I didn't. Keep in mind that lemons are acidic which can damage the enamel on your teeth, so it is recommended that you brush after drinking. I like to drink in the morning right when I wake up and then go brush my teeth and do my daily skin care routine.
Drinking water in general promotes hydration so adding lemon water daily would in turn promote hydration.
After going over my results I can personally say that all the above would be accurate. The only one I would be on the fence is saying that lemon water promotes hydration, because you can drink regular water and you are promoting hydration, but either way I was truly impressed with how my body felt, breath was fresher and added a boost to my step. I saw decline in how my body was feeling on the day's I didn't drink lemon water, but found that drinking lemon water daily was too acidic for me giving me heart burn. Drinking it every other day seems to be what is working best for me.
- If you normally do not drink water in the morning, be sure to ease into drinking water in the morning as it can cause nausea until your body adjusts, subsides quickly.
- Buy the bag of lemons, they are cheaper and you will then have no reason not to drink lemon water.
- Brush after drinking so you do not damage your enamel.
- To get most of the health benefits you need to drink the correct amount of lemon juice, 1/2 cup daily is recommended
- Biggest take away from this is that drinking 8oz of warm lemon water first thing in the morning is exactly what your body needs. While we are sleeping our bodies are working on repairing muscles, organs and other cells. Flushing these chemicals or toxins out that your body needs to get rid of keeps your body healthy. If lemon water isn't your thing trying squeezing an orange using the correct amount of juice or other fruits that are highly acidic.
Start today and make it a point that water or lemon water is the first 8 oz you drink after waking up. I would love to hear your thoughts and if you drink lemon water or not. Leave me a comment below, lets start a conversation!
Hello welcome to MotherEarth Journal, I am Channon founder, creator and blogger at MotherEarth Inc. Encouraging you to live the best possible life without destroying our planet in the process! Real talk, honest reviews & educational information. Let's save our planet one swap at a time!