What are Facial Toners & Mists!
When I was growing up the only facial toner type of product I used was the toner in the Proactiv three step cleaning process. While proactiv only worked for me for six months before my skin no longer was staying breakout free, I never used one after that until in my late 20's. Before reaching for a toner or facial mist let's talk about what a toner is vs a mist.
Facial toner are designed to kill bacteria and shrink pores. They are especially helpful if dealing with acne and oily prone skin. Most facial toners are also helpful at restoring your skins PH balance keeping acne under control. Facial Toners add a layer of protection for you skin allowing your facial serum to absorb better, keeping your skin plump and hydrated.
Facial mist are designed to hydrate and moisturize skin and shouldn't contain any astringent properties such as alcohol or witch hazel. Great from a mid day pick me up and when apply skin care. Spraying onto skin before applying facial serums or body butter, allows the skin to absorb it better. Allow your skin to stay hydrated and nourished.
Spray onto a reusable cotton round and apply to your entire face and neck after you wash your face before your serums both morning and evening. Be picking about what you are putting on your face as a lot of toners are created using harsh ingredients that are most likely to disrupt the skins PH level causing an over production of oils resulting in unwanted acne. Avoid the following facial toner ingredients:
- Alcohol - Applying alcohol to your skin effectively eliminating the sebum *the skin's natural lipid, from the epidermal layer. This will cause the skin to become dry, dull and over produce oil, bring acne.
- Salicylic Acid - Applying high amounts of salicylic acid can disrupt the skin's PH levels causing redness, stinging, tightness and irritation. There has been reports of mild chemical burns for some after applying salicylic acid.
- Benzoyl Peroxide - Applying high amounts of benzoyl peroxide can damage the epidermal layer disrupting the PH levels and increasing oil production. That brings acne and a dull looking appearance.
- Synthetic Fragrances - Applying fragrances to your skin can cause skin irritation, burning and even headaches. Synthetic fragrances are an term to describe thousands of different chemicals used. Biggest place to hide ingredients because due to secret ingredient laws they do not have disclose what they are using.
Look for ingredients such as:
- Witch Hazel - Distilled from the twigs and bark of the Witch Hazel tree.Created using 86% organic witch hazel extract and 14% organic alcohol. Used as an astringent keeping bacteria at bay without being harsh. Naturally anti-inflammatory and antiviral making a wonderful addition for soothing skin.
- White Willow Bark - Created from the dried bark Organic grain alcohol, distilled water, and organic white willow bark. Naturally contain salicylic acid, derived from salicin, which helps to fight acne and is an all natural, gentle exfoliant.
- Tea Tree Essential Oil - Steam distilled from the leaves and twigs of the tea tree, tea tree essential oil has natural anti fungal and bacterial properties making it great for acne prone skin.
- Hydrosols - Flower water created from streaming the flower. A botanical source to hydrate, moisturize and balance skin.
Spray facial mist on clean skin before applying body butter or facial serum for hydration and moisture boost. Facial mist should not have astringent type ingredients, these can cause skin irritation and dryness. Another facial mist no no is applying them excessively through out the day, this can cause excessive dryness and irritation. Use facial mist maximum twice a day.
Skin can benefit from added a facial toner and mist to your skin care routine as long as you are using them correctly and one designed for your skin type. Check the ingredients and find an organic option. We have a line of facial toners and mist that are designed with hydrating and nourishing ingredients to leave you skin clear and glowing. Check them out here and find one for your skin type. Our Rose Mist works great as a hydration boost before applying our Body Love! Have you been using a facial toner or mist and if so what is your favorite toner/mist ingredient?